Opportunities and Benefits
- Enrollment in Service Award Program (LOSAP)
- Consistent, quality training
- Travel to local and national conferences, seminars, and training events
- Firematic and administrative leadership positions
- NYS income tax credit
- Vested interest in the community as a valued asset to the department
You need us. We need you.
The Jonesville Volunteer Fire Department is actively recruiting new members. Help us continue to provide quality, professional service to our community.
The Jonesville Volunteer Fire Department was officially established on May 28, 1919. In nearly a century of dedicated volunteer service, the fire department has evolved from a handful of country neighbors banned together to serve their small rural hamlet to a highly trained group of volunteers responding to the emergency needs of an ever-expanding suburban community. A lot has changed since our inception, but the goals of the volunteer fire service have remained the same: to selflessly serve and protect the people and property of our community.
We respond to vehicle fires, residential and commercial fires, downed power lines, lost person searches, smoke and carbon monoxide detector alarms, flooded basements, motor vehicle accidents, injured and sick persons, and medical emergencies. As a volunteer firefighter, you will respond to these emergencies and use your training and skills to help those in need. When there is an emergency in the Jonesville Fire District and our pagers are activated, all available firefighters respond to the fire station to respond with the apparatus, tools, and equipment required to provide assistance. Your selfless actions as a volunteer firefighter will help save lives and protect property.
What will I do as a volunteer firefighter?
Roles and Responsibilities
- Qualified to wear Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) and trained to perform firefighting and rescue duties.
- Trained to perform firefighting and rescue duties.
- Trained to establish scene security and traffic control at incidents. Assist with firefighter rehabilitation.
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
- Qualified to administer BLS care to patients experiencing medical emergencies.
- Qualified to drive and operate department vehicles.
Hazmat Technician & Fire Investigator
- Support the Saratoga County Hazmat Team and Fire Investigation Team at incidents requiring specialized training and operations.
What is expected of me as a volunteer firefighter?
Involvement with the fire department may sometimes feel like a part-time job, but members with demanding jobs and busy personal and family schedules still find time to become valuable assets to the department. We have the expectation that all members will put forth the effort to attend weekly training drills, respond to emergency calls, participate in community events, and attend training courses. All firefighters are an investment; our goal is to have a great return on the investment with highly trained, highly skilled, and highly motivated firefighters ready and willing to serve our community.
Jonesville Fire District Explorer Post 36
The Explorer Post is a program for young men and women, ages 14 to 21, interested in helping their community through involvement in the emergency services. No experience is required; the Jonesville Fire District provides all the training needed to be an Explorer. Explorers learn American Red Cross First Aid and CPR, fire operations, and equipment uses. Safety is the number one priority. However, we want Explorers to have as much fun as possible learning about becoming firefighters and EMS workers. Please call the District Office at 518-877-8100 or email at email@example.com for more information.
Strive to learn. Strive to serve.